Principles of inclusion, diversity, and community:
The Fox lab strongly believes in the principles of treating all individuals with respect and compassion, regardless of their race, gender, country of origin, sexual orientation, religion, cultural traditions, physical abilities and mental health. We understand that various groups and communities have historically been underrepresented and disserviced by science. We seek to change this by cultivating a diverse research team and research collaborations to amplify their voice in the scientific community and to ensure that our scientific advancements benefit these marginalized communities. It is for this reason that we are committed to
1) fostering an inclusive, welcoming, and diverse community in our laboratory,
2) actively listening and learning from each other’s differences, and
3) providing equitable opportunities for all to learn and become engaged in science.
But we do not want our efforts to promote diversity, inclusion, and community to stop at the doors to our lab. We want to create impactful changes and experiences that promote these principles in our local community, our commonwealth, and our country. The Fox lab is wholeheartedly committed to creating the space and providing support for its lab members to be actively engaged in community outreach and advocacy. We encourage future members of our lab to share in this desire to make the world a better place for all through both our science and broader community actions.
Equity and Inclusivity Efforts:
The actions we take to promote these principles matter. We pledge to continuously revisit our efforts and seek ways in which we can contribute to inclusion, diversity, and community-building as a lab and as individuals. Current and past lab members have been leaders or participated in:
- The Big Event (a large-scale service event that strives to build strong community relationship)
- Mentoring at-risk children through Big Brothers Big Sisters
- Serving as research mentors and taught courses in the NINDS-funded FBRI NeuroSURF program
- Engaging with local and national elected officials to…
- Bringing science to the public at local schools and public libraries in under-resourced districts
- Organizing and participated in STEM events at local venues
- Generating and producing science-based Podcasts
- And many other initiatives….